Saturday, April 16, 2016

Examining Codes of Ethics

NAEYC Code of Ethical Conduct
 
 
Ethical Responsibilities to Families
 
 I-2.2- To develop relationships of mutual trust and create partnerships with families we serve.
I think that it is very important for every family to feel comfortable with their child's teacher. I constantly remind my families that we have an open door policy. I welcome them at anytime so that they can see that their child is in a safe learning environment. I want them to trust me with their child. I always speak in a professional tone, and remind them that I am here for them and their child.
 
I-2.7- To share information about each child's education and development with families and to help them understand and appreciate the current knowledge base of the early childhood profession.
 
I would say this is not only meaningful, but is important as well. I share information with my families regarding their education on a daily basis. I communicate with my parents through letters, portfolios, conferences, and most of all home visits. I let my parents see the progress their child has made by starting the portfolio at the beginning of school. I will always let my families know when I see some development delayed issues. I explain to my parents on the first day, why early childhood is important, and why we need to communicate throughout the school year.
 
I-2.9- To participate in building support networks for families by providing them opportunities to interact with program staff, other families, community resources, and professional services.
 
Our program offers parent involvement, in fact welcomes all family members. The school get a panel of parents that takes the positions as presidents, vice presidents, treasures, and secretary. These parent attends all meetings regarding Head Start issues. They come and ask the teachers what they need, or what they would like for them to discuss in the meeting regarding early childhood. They join other families, professionals, and the community at these meetings. I encourage my parents to become a part of this panel. I tell them this is the time to be heard, and voice their opinions.
 
DEC Code of Ethics
 
5.We shall use individually appropriate assessment strategies including multiple sources of information such as observations, interviews with significant caregivers, formal and informal assessments to determine children's learning styles, strengths, and challenges.
 
I do observations daily on my children. I look for something different, creative, and meaningful. I take these observations and record them into teaching strategy. This is where I level the children to see where they are at the moment. I can also use teaching strategy to see progress. This information goes to the Department of education. We have professionals come in and talk with the teacher about a child's progress. If the teacher see any issues, she and the team get together along with the parent to see what they can do to help the child. We use this assessment to analyze the child's strength, challenges, and learning style.
 
 


5 comments:

  1. Hello
    I enjoyed reading your post. Parental involvement is very import it could means the difference in the child being successful or not. It also allows the parent to see what their child is learning and give them a chance to maybe walk throughout the typical day of their child. I always tells my parents come visit us. We love visitors. We also put them to work(lol)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I put them to work too! LOL, I want them to see what it like to be in the classroom. I have had some parents that came and only wanted to sit and watch, or only work with their child. I always remind them that there are other children that needs some assistance also. Parent involvement is IMPORTANT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you, parent involvement is important. great post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guadalupe,
    I wanted to thank you for being such an inspirational colleague. I truly enjoyed reading about your thoughts and experiences each week. I loved hearing about the Head Start program that you work in, as it is something that I have always been interested in doing. I look forward to remaining connected throughout the course of this program. Thanks for all of your passion and wisdom!

    ReplyDelete