Saturday, September 16, 2017

Exploring Roles in the ECE Community:Local and State Levels



Volunteers of America
                                                                              
900 Jordan St. Suite 102                                  

Shreveport, La. 71101

(318) 429-4413

 
I chose the organization because we have so many youth that is getting arrested daily for minor offenses. We need volunteers to help these youths to stay out the system. They all become repeat offenders and we need to help these youths. This program have different programs; Facts of Life, GEMS & GENTS Youth Mentoring, Jumpstart and Teen Court to assist these youths.

I am interested in being a volunteer. The qualifications: No special background or experience; just a heart to serve and desire to make a difference.

 

The YMCA

400 McNeil St.

Shreveport, La. 71101

(318) 647-9600

I chose the Y because I love helping families and their children. I want to help them overcome their challenges and reach goals that they have set for themselves. They focus on youth development, counseling, healthy living, and social and responsibility. I would like to apply for the Afterschool Child Care Director. I would have to oversee youth and the enrichment after school program. I will have to have leadership skills, be motivated and committed. I will need a 4 year degree in education and have 5 years of experience with children.

The Women Safe House

 I chose this because I have had friends and family members that has or is dealing with violence in their family and their children are getting involved in the abuse along with their mothers and fathers. They had no positions available at the time. I would love to volunteer. I can volunteer I the Children’s program. I can read to the children, help with homework, and help feed them. I become there friend. My job is to make them feel safe. The only qualification is to be patient, kind and loving.

 

 

 

 

3 comments:

  1. Guadalupe,

    Gem and Gents seems like a place where young adolescent and young adults need to discover themselves. At this critical junction in their young lives, having someone to consistently rely upon to be there for a child regardless of the circumstances would without a doubt influence that youngster in a positive direction. Thank you for thinking about these young men and women.

    P. Gabriel

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello, GEMs ad GENTs are for the children not for the adults. The adults are the volunteers for the program. I tried to get in this group, but they had no more room for volunteers. I was told they get many volunteers, because they have so much fun with the youths. The organization is a great success!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I solely agree that the need for children getting off the streets and become more involved in things that are challenging and rewarding with safety for them much be stepped up with help of others, great choice of interest this week. Thanks for sharing!

    Sheliah

    ReplyDelete