Saturday, April 15, 2017

The FIve Stages of Team Development




I was working for the juvenile system in Louisiana. I was put on a committee to help girls that have self-esteem issues and have been in the system. The group was called, “Volunteers of Youth Justice.”  I can see this team went through the five stages process. The committee was made up of teachers, counselors and policeman. I remember us going through the first stage, “Forming.” We all introduce ourselves and stated why we were interested in making a change with these youths, as well as sharing our past experiences and interests. I can honestly say we did not go through the storming stage. We all had the same vision, and all ideas were put into place.

This group was hard to leave, because it was a group of people that started something and completed it; which made it very successful. The youths graduated from the program and were very successful. I saw changes throughout the program. Our team did establish a work ethic that was awesome. We took each other’s ideas, and worked as a team to see it through. Our vision became one.

Volunteers of justice were like a family. There were days we cried when we would hear these youths speak about the struggles they have been through. I worked with people that were very passionate and we all had one goal, and that was to make sure these girls were successful.

I believe I have bonded with all my colleagues since being in the Master’s program. We leave each other at the end of each course, but some of us see in each in other courses or down the line. When we get to the end, I will feel like I will be missing a part of my family. We have shared information, ideas, and disagreements throughout this program. Yes, it saddens me. I have met some smart and knowledgeable colleagues. I wish everyone the best!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Guadalupe,

    I can imagine how you felt. When a team have had cohesion and bonded it is always difficult to leave. However this cohesion is necessary for good performing stage. Another goo characteristic is having a common goal and everybody working for the common goal. Then you will not have social loafers in your team – people who fail to invest same level of effort as when they were working individually (O’Hair et al, 2015, p.254). Everyone will put their best in making the team succeed.


    Reference:
    O'Hair, D., Wiemann, M., Mullin, D. I., & Teven, J. (2015). Real communication (3rd. ed). Chap 9. [Text] Bedford/St. Martin's. New York.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Guadalupe,

    The need for trust arises from our interdependence with others. We often depend on other people to help us obtain, or at least not to frustrate, the outcomes we value and they on us. As our interests with others are intertwined, we also must recognize that there is an element of risk involved as we often encounter situations in which we cannot compel the cooperation we seek. In the forming stage, personal relations are characterized by dependence. Group members rely on safe, patterned behavior and look to the group leader for guidance and direction. Group members have a desire for acceptance by the group and a need to know that the group is safe. Therefore, trust can be very valuable during this stage. The trust developed in your group helped young girl see a better future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. creating bonds with co workers help the jobs work better. but it is not a good feeling when you face differences among the group.

    ReplyDelete