Saturday, March 25, 2017

Communicating

We all have to remember that communicating is what we do everyday. In the workplace, at functions in stores; we exchange information among each other. I believe the key to communication is to listen and understand that each individual is different. We all find ourselves communicating different, especially with different groups. I noticed that I speak differently at work than I do when I am with my friends. At work, I am more professionally; the language is spoken correctly and I am more attentive. When I am with my friends, I'm not under a microscope. I can be more relaxed, and my body language changes. I find my self using slang sometimes. I use more facial expressions; I'm just out of the norm.

My first strategy........I need to work on lack of focus. I am the one that is always doing more than one thing at a time. Multi-tasking when there is communication. I'm listening, but my mind is wondering. I need to be more attentive to the person that is speaking.

My second strategy....... work on being mindful of my nonverbal communication. I have to understand that each cultural is different. I need to understand that everyone has an opinion and it's important as well. This has always been a challenge for me.

My third strategy....I need to be a effective listener. I need to work on not judging and assuming. Cultural diversity is definitely in the school system. Everyone is coming from all aspect. I need to value their ideas and beliefs.

Culture, by definition, affects the majority of a group in a consistent direction; the intensity of this effect on the individual, however, is moderated by the individual's perception (Vuckovic, 2008).
                 
                                                                                  Reference
Vuckovic, A. (2008). Inter-cultural communication: A foundation of communicative action.
            Multiculture Education and Technology Journal, 2(1), 47-59.

5 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your post. I too need to work on being more focused and attentive when speaking with others. I find myself being distracted and not always engaged in the conversation at hand.

    You posted some useful strategies for communicating more effectively.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, I think as a teacher this is very important. I know that this is a challenge for us. The most effective communication is to understand the communicator. Most importantly be mindful of your body language

      Delete
  2. Hello Guadalupe,

    Your blog is so precise on the point that you change your communication style based on your audience. You are more professional with your colleagues at work than your friends. This makes you a good communicator and your message can be understood easily because of the appropriate context.
    Your strategies are also very useful - Being focused, an active listener and watching out for non verbal cues. This makes you want to understand your audience before the communication. A research on the culture of the audience could be very useful too. Because meeting someone for the very first time and not knowing about the person or his/her expectations may hinder exffective communication.
    Thanks,
    Blessing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blessing, I think we all act a certain way when we get around certain people. Think about this;you will be labeled if you act inappropriately at work. When you are with your friends that's something totally different.

      Delete
  3. I agree with you. I do see myself doing the same thing with whom I am talking too. In work I am more professional and depend to I am with with at work we joke around. Some of my coworkers I am able to communicate in Spanish with. With my friends I am able to joke around more and able to speak more freely and openly. I also your strategies are very useful. Thank you for your post.

    ReplyDelete